First post so I have to say thanks for the app, it's great!
But on to the issue. When I was picking which app to buy to replace original one, I did my googling and research. And one of the most common voices against your app was that it was too complicated, only for advanced people, etc.
As I'm IT geek with many years of experience in all kinds of tech, I did not mind that, as I usually am the advanced user. I bought the app, and same day got rid of original app. I was generally very satisfied, and slew of options is just a positive for me.
But couple months down the road, I got to understand the negative feedback. And I will do best to help you solve it.
App itself isn't complicated or unfriendly, it's quite nice, intuitive, and very good looking. But the settings... To keep it simple - it's all.over the place.
So to go into more details, though I'm sure everyone here is already aware of it, we have settings in each section, in each subsection, plus some settings enable (expand) even more settings, and some of those even have their own settings underneath when you tap on the option's line.
That's where things go south. I wanted to change my heartbeat options, since battery did suffer a bit with the continuous option, but since I did not touch the settings for a while - I couldn't find it! It ended with success 3 days later, as it's one of those "hidden" ones.
Now what I would do to improve on it, please take this as a suggestion to aid the devs, nothing else:
- put ALL settings under the hamburger menu -> Settings; that's how all other apps in the world do it
- DO NOT keep the 3 distinct "settings"/"cogs"/"options" in the main menu, it's confusing... Either have Settings label or the cogs icon at the top, don't have both (specially not in two different places)
- divide the settings as they are now, heartbeat, sleep, Mi-band menu, etc, that's pretty well separated already, but it all needs to be as a tab/submenu/subpage of the global settings.menu
- don't put the option to toggle and to change the settings of that toggle in the same line, add "more settings" or "advanced" under the toggle (enabled when toggle is ON, disabled when it's OFF); the issue with my continuous heartbeat was due to this one
- always make visible in UI that there is an additional setting or action (where you have one)
- in the graph/data pages where settings are currently in app, just add the "go to settings" link, don't keep the settings there
There are probably few more tweaks here and there, but I'm writing this from phone so I'd need to switch to PC so I can go through app as well. If you are interested in more detailed descriptions, please comment below, and I'll take my time during weekend to actually comment on each of the mis-positioned settings in the current app.
Again, please don't think of this as a negative comment, I really want this to be received as constructive criticism, even a discussion (if you're open to it from your side).
I do understand that changing all this requires a major rebuild, but it's not all so bad, mostly a reshuffle of the existing elements, I'm pretty sure that it could be done in a single session in a few hours time, despite huge visual change.